Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Remote or at LP National Headquarters in Alexandria, VA
- Responsible for planning, development and implementation of all of the Libertarian Party’s fundraising, stewardship, membership, and prospecting activities.
- Oversee development and implementation of support materials and services for affiliates in the area of fundraising and membership.
- Direct the efforts of development department staff and coordinate at the strategic and tactical levels with other departments.
- Personify Libertarian Party values: respectful, positive, principled, innovative, driven, action-oriented, responsive, solutions-focused, liberty-centric, and fun.
- The position reports to the Executive Director and serves as a member of the leadership team charting the direction of the Organization, assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation.
- Within the Organization, the position has primary working relationships with the Executive Director, senior management team, staff of the development department, and service providers.
- Outside the Organization, the position engages, primarily, with donorship.
Principal Accountabilities: Fundraising, Stewardship, and Membership
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them. Oversee prospect research to expand our base of active donorship.
- Grow our major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Responsible for expansion of our monthly recurring pledge program, growing our consistent stream of monthly revenue, and overseeing the creation of publications necessary to support this program.
- Direct our membership and annual giving programs, including regular renewal mailings and other direct mail solicitation.
- Oversee specialized fundraising initiatives, such as planned giving, bequests, grant seeking, capital campaigns, and other major fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fundraising efforts at special events. Make appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the Libertarian Party with the community and encourage donorship. Participate in the education and training of affiliate parties and activists in fundraising techniques and best practices.
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff. Participate in strategic planning and goal-setting for the development team, and professional development and performance management processes with staff. Demonstrate a commitment to a professional attitude and conduct at all times, setting an example for staff and cultivating a culture of professionalism. Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems and implement processes necessary to ensure tracking, evaluation, and management of ongoing fundraising projects and initiatives.
- Work closely with the Executive Director, and Board of Directors (LNC). Liaise with board Development Committee and collaborate on board and volunteer fundraising activities. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to development goals and objectives and report progress to the Executive Director, Chair and board.
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in professional fundraising, donor stewardship, and related activities. Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational, written, and interpersonal skills. Familiarity and experience with fundraising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and other volunteers. Prior experience mentoring and managing the workflow of staff is desirable.
- Desire to get out of the office and to build external relationships. Availability to travel and represent the organization at events.
- Is a “self-starter” and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls. Is organized and exhibits “follow through” on tasks and goals. Displays a positive attitude, shows concern for people and community, demonstrates presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher levels of educational attainment preferred.
Send as one PDF document: (1) cover letter demonstrating informed interest in this position, (2) one-page resume, and (3) a brief proposed outline of a 6-month fundraising and stewardship plan to firstname.lastname@example.org, ATTN Tyler Harris. Include your full name and the job title for the position sought in the subject line. Compensation is commensurate with experience/qualifications and includes competitive benefits package. Candidates who engage in public campaigns for the position will not be considered. Posting closes March 7th. EOE/M/F/D/V/SO
The Libertarian National Committee (LNC), is committed to diversity among its staff, and recognizes that its continued success requires the highest commitment to obtaining and retaining a diverse staff that provides the best quality services to supporters and constituents. The LNC is an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy to recruit, hire, train, promote and administer any and all personnel actions without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, economic status, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity or expression, ethnic identity or disability, or any other legally protected basis. The LNC is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities in the hiring process and on the job, as required by applicable law. The LNC will not tolerate any unlawful discrimination and any such conduct is strictly prohibited.