In response to an article in The Hill on President Obama’s low poll ratings, Libertarian Party Political Director Carla Howell made this statement on Press TV May 1, 2014:
Americans, especially among the emerging young generation, have become jaded and disapproving of both Democrats and Republicans.
Reports of Obama’s low poll ratings cite the botched rollout of Obamacare as one cause. But it’s also the realization that Obama broke his promises.
He said you’d be able to keep your doctor – but many have lost their doctors.
He said you could keep your insurance plan. But millions of plans were cancelled, leaving people suddenly uninsured and vulnerable to catastrophic losses and delays in treatment that harm their health.
Both the Democrats and Republicans — not just Obama — are responsible for Obamacare. After all, the Republicans nominated Mitt Romney to be their presidential nominee in 2012. He’s the man who championed the precursor to Obamacare in his home state of Massachusetts.
Both Democrats and Republicans are responsible for a host of disappointments to the American voters:
- NSA Spying and mass surveillance.
- High unemployment.
- Endless war. The Republicans surged in Iraq while the Democrats surged in Afghanistan.
- Both Democrats and Republicans are responsible for bailouts of banks and corporations like General Motors at taxpayer expense.
- We have young people saddled with unaffordable school loans.
- We have a devaluing dollar and rising prices. And the crazy, reckless monetary policies of the Federal Reserve.
- And the growing power of government unions. There’s a huge inequity between government and private sector compensation levels. Today we don’t have rich versus poor. We have government haves versus government have-nots.
The Democrats and Republicans have so abused the American worker, taxpayer, and soldier that they’re running out of tricks that anyone will believe.
This year the Libertarian party is fielding candidates who pledge to, for example:
- Repeal Obamacare, replace it with nothing and expand health freedom.
- End the federal income tax, balance the budget, and cut federal spending to the year 1998. This will put $11,525 back in the budget of each American family — every year — and create millions of jobs.
- Fully restore the Fourth Amendment. Close down the NSA. Consolidate eighteen spy agencies into one, and cut taxes accordingly. Provide clemency for Edward Snowden. Let him come home and give him full whistleblower protections.
- Cut military spending by at least 60 percent, close foreign military bases, bring our troops home to their families, and cut spending and taxes accordingly.
These fresh, inspiring, and workable solutions that Libertarian candidates offer will make America prosperous, safe and free.