- Our Party
Success! Your Action to Urge Virginia Senators to Stop NDAA Worked!
Posted on Feb 27, 2012
The support of Libertarians and others who helped Virginia Delegate Bob Marshall's bill worked! Libertarians and other groups lobbied the Virginia Senate successfully, changing a split vote on Monday, February 27th to a landslide victory on Tuesday, February 28th.
Congratulations Del. Marshall and all who participated!
Posted February 27th:
YOUR LIBERTIES HANG IN THE BALANCE!
Most Libertarians have heard about the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), and how it authorizes the government to kidnap and detain American citizens indefinitely.
In December, Congress passed and the President signed the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). Buried in NDAA’s hundreds of pages, Section 1021 purports to authorize the President to use the military to kidnap American citizens for suspicion of being terrorists. The President is REQUIRED to either hold them indefinitely, prosecute them before a military tribunal, or transfer them to a foreign country (rendition).
Section 1021 is a novel new power. It pretends that the United States is a battlefield and her citizens are enemy combatants who are not entitled to the protections of the Bill of Rights. We're talking about...
* habeas corpus
* trial by jury
* representation by counsel
* confrontation of witnesses
* due process of law administered by impartial judges
Good people have taken this fight to the state level. State Delegate Bob Marshall of Virginia submitted an anti-detention (anti-kidnapping) bill, HB 1160. The official summary of 1160...
“A BILL to prevent any agency, political subdivision, employee, or member of the military of Virginia from assisting an agency of the armed forces of the United States in the investigation, prosecution, or detention of a citizen in violation of the United States Constitution, the Constitution of Virginia, or any Virginia law or regulation.”
And the news is exciting. This bill could pass! It's already passed the state house. And...
Yesterday, the Virginia State Senate narrowly defeated a move to recommit the anti-detention bill. The effort to recommit would've killed the bill for this year.
But it failed due to a tie-breaking vote.
That's how close this is!
The Senate agreed to bring the bill to the floor today, Tuesday, February 27. http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2012/02/ndaa-our-liberties-hang-in-...
So, urgent action is needed to flip just ONE VOTE.
What if we could get one state to stand up to the federal government on this issue? Could we expand this movement to other states?
Virginians, we're counting on you. If you're not from Virginia but know someone who is and will take action, please pass this note on to them now. Our liberties hang in the balance.
The Tenth Amendment Center has provided these detailed instructions on how you can help.
1. Click here to get the contact information for your Senator
2. Click on your Senator’s name to get their email address and TWO phone numbers – capitol and district offices.
3. CALL them. Best option – respectfully, yet firmly – urge them to pass this bill. Let them know that you want them to stand up for the Constitution of the United States AND the Constitution of Virginia. They took an oath to both.
4. EMAIL them. Even if call, you can still email too. Or just email if you're shy. Send a courteous, strong, and firm email, urging them to vote yes on this bill.
5. Do the same for the Governor’s office – 804-786-2211 or click here.
Please, take action now. Thank you!
This message courtesy of Jim Babka, Downsize D.C., and Attorney William Olson