For Immediate Release Thursday, March 31, 2011
WASHINGTON – The Libertarian Party congratulates Congress for passing a budget that makes serious cuts in federal government spending, including the following:
- Eliminating Department of Education programs, saving taxpayers more than $40 billion each year.
- Getting rid of farm subsidies, saving over $20 billion each year.
- Ending the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as many other overseas deployments, saving over $100 billion annually.
- Eliminating programs and subsidies in the Department of Transportation, saving about $80 billion annually.
- Terminating federal housing subsidies, saving about $45 billion each year.
- Giving overpaid federal employees a 10% cut in compensation, saving $30 billion annually.
- Throwing out federal energy subsidies, saving $20 billion annually.
- Reducing and reforming Medicare and Medicaid, saving about $100 billion a year for the next ten years.
- Ending the federal War on Drugs, saving $15 billion annually.
- Phasing out mandatory Social Security, and reducing the rate of benefit growth to save $40 billion a year by 2020.
“April Fool’s!” cried Libertarian Party Executive Director Wes Benedict. “Congress hasn’t done any of those things. Congress is causing the federal government to keep growing rapidly. And don’t be fooled by the recent hype about Republican proposals for ‘cuts.’ Those ‘cuts’ are so small and so peripheral, that even if they pass, they won’t have any effect on the fiscal catastrophe facing our children and grandchildren. Republicans and Democrats continue to link arms and keep our federal government huge and growing.”
Benedict continued, “We got that list of items from a Cato Institute advertisement that ran in several major news outlets today. Of course, we wish Congress would cut all those things, but we know Republicans and Democrats won’t do it.”
The Libertarian Party platform calls for major reductions in the size and scope of government.
For more information, or to arrange an interview, call LP Executive Director Wes Benedict at 202-333-0008 ext. 222.
The LP is America’s third-largest political party, founded in 1971. The Libertarian Party stands for free markets, civil liberties, and peace. You can find more information on the Libertarian Party at our website .